Toronto night life

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Canadian Urban Legend Wes 'MAESTRO' Williams - Still Bringing the Music to Us After All These Years

MAESTRO have evolved past his “Let Your Anchor Slide” days, but people still associate him with his first hit 15 old age ago. Bashes that trouble oneself him? No way! For maestro it is through his achievements as an creative person that he have evolved and looks fondly back on his early old age with pride.

To day of the month no 1 have exceeded the degrees of achievements that maestro have achieved. To date, 7 music awards, 7 albums, 11 Juno nominations, Gold and Platinum albums, Gold singles and a mixture of other awardings in film/T.V and personal achievements. All of this, plus a movie and telecasting career? No wonderment his up-to-the-minute record album is called Urban Landmark 1989-2005 - it’s obvious he have made his mark, now let’s see where he travels from here!

One of my very first interviews on radiocommunication was with MAESTRO, back when I was working at House Of York University radio, he was a particular invitee on a show called, “ The Cutting Edge”. I realized back then after our little hr together on the show, that this is one Hell of a passionate man! He is passionate about what he does, whom he talks to, what he affects himself with and most of all passionate about MUSIC. It is the same passionateness I saw and felt when we (Liesa Jessye Norman and I) sat down with him the twenty-four hours before his cadmium release party. He truly is “conductin’ thangs” now more than than ever, his life a full blown “Symphony inch Effect” - just travels to demo you he is “Built to Last”

HAVIN’ words WITH WES

You look to have got a love matter with Canadian modern-day and stone artists? This is not the norm attack to hip hop is it?

WES- Janet Jackson sampled Joni Mitchell, that is a batch farther apart than me, a Canadian artists, sampling another Canadian artist. See?

Yes, but you are the lone 1 that have been acknowledged for doing it.

WES- No, Bloated Members did it too, but not a batch of people cognize they did a path with Sarah MacLachlan that was HOT. This was off their last album…..I don’t cognize WHY those cats did not make it the single, it was so hot!

To day of the month you have got worked “with” HAYWIRE, guess WHO and now Gowan!

WES- It is just something I like to do. Take Canadian stone records and just revamp them. Iodine have got these albums, I like them- I accumulate them.

So, within the song that you are listening to, you hear another song?

Orlena, Hip Hop up n'comer Subliminal, Liesa WES- yeah, yeah. Like when I heard “Stick to Your Vision” (track off his last album, that sampled The Guess Who’s - These Eyes)- I was like….Whooooo! That was a nice brooding song to speak about what you been through and inspirational at the same time.

So that was a favourite?

WES- Hell, yeah! (chuckles)

Lyrically make you happen that the words come up first or makes the music?

WES- There is no specific formula. A conception may come up first and then the music after. You cognize I never seek to absorb - I seek to innovate.

So your up-to-the-minute track, Criminal Mind with Larry Gowan- was that something that you heard within the song, or was that something you conceptualized on your own?

(l-r) Orlena, Actor-Richard Leacock, Liesa WES- Nah. It was more than like the original version was talking about being a criminal and having a criminal mind. I had the return on it of the justness system being more than criminal. But, at the same time, we as a community not being in a place where we are more than followers, rather than being the leadership that we should be. In life you have got to be a leader and stop MAKING excuses for whatever! With the song I just set my ain small spin on it. What I love is that Randy Bachman and Larry Gowan, both similar what I did with the song.

Were you in the studio with Larry Gowan?

WES- Nah. I was in his life room when I played him the path when it was done and I saw the hair base up on his arms. Then we went downstairs to watch his video from Criminal Mind and then my new one, that he is in. The video is full rotation now - it’s just BANANAS!

Do you happen the force is accurate to what the mass media portrays? Or make you really experience that there is a rush of force within minorities?

The Showstoppers(ctre) Maestro

and Kardinal Offishall WES- Yeah, Yeah (as he sighs). It is a spot of both. A spot of sensationalism still happens though. But, to me it is awkward for all people that we transport on like that with each other. We don’t have got to be like that. We have got lost our ability to “talk” to one another. My inquiry is how did the guns acquire here in the first place? Who is bringing them into the country? That is the last line in my song Criminal Mind. I come up from a good place and I trust that people gravitate toward what it is that I am doing.

The album, which came out August 23, have got 5 new hits?

WES- The record record album makes not really have five NEW hits, but 5 previously unreleased songs. These paths have got been out before, but just on radiocommunication and more than as singles that were unavailable for purchase.

Well, your top hits album, is going screen the span of your calling - are you prepared to make any of those moves you used to spin around for “Let your Anchor Slide”.

R&B Sweetheart Melanie DurrantWES- Ohio yeah. I am going to have got a full-blown show! Choreography, the works..it is going to be hot to death!

You are still hot to decease after all these years. You still have got the same febricity and spirit that you had when you were younger. It is good to see! What are you listening to in your auto right now? Bash you have got any music influences?

WES- Right now I am listening to myself (outbreak of laughter from us all). I have got got my show cadmium in and I am practicing that over and over again.

Laughter aside, you have a repute to upkeep, if you don’t come up right you cognize people are going to be authorship about it! Watching and waiting for you to fall..or just all off the stage!

What a night!WES- That’s fine…watch…just maintain watching!

We will!

FYI- The adjacent twenty-four hours maestro came with it and blew the roof off the mod CLUB! The place was packed, people were bumpin’ to his hits and when he allow us have got the concluding track…it was all over. Hey! When maestro left the phase - everyone else left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home