Toronto night life

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Interview With An Up And Coming Musician From Toronto

Today, Norm Goldman, Editor of Sketchandtravel.com and Bookpleasures.com is delighted to have got as our guest, Dan Goldman, Guitarist, Song Writer, Poet,
Organizer and a instrumentalist of many other talents.

Dan is here to discourse his world of music and travels.

Norm:

When did your passionateness for music begin? What maintains you going?

Dan:

I can't quite retrieve when my passionateness began. It looks to have got been an inborn appreciation. My earlier memories are of hearing to old records and 8-track
recordings that my parents had kicking around the house - anything from Kenny
Will Rogers to Neil Diamond sparked my involvement at the time. My male parent played piano,
and I always loved listening to his romantic, albeit, slightly bathetic touch. I'd press my ear against the sounding board to acquire the most out of the vibrations.

Norm:

Who were the instrumentalists that influenced you?

Dan:

There are too many to mention; but if I had to contract it down, I'd say, in order
of appearance: The Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, my uncle Issac,
Classical guitar repertory including Johann Sebastian Bach and most of the Spanish composers,
Joni Mitchell, Jim Hall, Bill Frisell and on and on.I'm currently into Wilco,
Joanna Newsom, Lisa Germano, to call a few.

Norm:

When on tour, make you detect any differences in audiences from one metropolis to the
next, and if so, would you state that this may due to their geographical location. For example, how would you compare audiences in George Vancouver to those in Toronto or
Montreal insofar as your music is concerned?

Dan:

Yes, I'd state the chief difference lies in how saturated the marketplace is. In
Calgary, for instance, where there isn't as much traffic in footing of touring
bands, I be given to acquire a warmer and more than appreciative response than in Toronto,
where, although I play plenty of great gigs, the audiences are somewhat numbed
by the sheer volume of instrumentalists around. Then again, public presentations are always
different and anything I believe is the rule is always set into inquiry as soon
as I play an unexpectedly great gig in the least likely situation.

Norm:

What disputes or obstructions make you meet while traveling and performing? How did you defeat these challenges?

Dan:

I acquire nervous a lot. I'm mulct when I'm actually performing, but I generally get
stressed a couple of hours before the show. It's really of import for me to eat
and remainder appropriately so that the emphasis doesn't take a toll on my
performances. I generally seek to set aside a certain amount of time every day
that I'm on tour to heating up or to my sitting (meditation) practice.

Norm:

Which is your favourite metropolis to execute in? Why?

Dan:

I can't state that I have got one. Anywhere where the people are receptive and
supportive goes the best city.

Norm

How make you acquire the inspiration for your song and music writing?

Dan:

I love music. It's not difficult to acquire inspired, what's hard is following through
and staying consistent with my authorship practice. I happen that the lone manner to get
to where I desire to be expression-wise is to pass the time it takes; and you
never cognize how long that's going to be, so you just maintain going!

Norm:

What was the first piece of music you ever wrote? What was the reaction?

Dan:

I can't remember. It was probably something in the classical guitar idiom. I've
always made certain to inquire people who I knew would be supportive - a stacked deck,
if you will, in my favor.

Norm:

Do you put yourself daily, weekly, annual goals? If so, what are some of your
goals?

Dan:

Yes, I definitely have got to put day-to-day goals, otherwise a whole twenty-four hours go throughs me buy,
and I experience like I've done nothing. These ends are rewarding because I can say,
for example, I'm going to work on words for an hour, and then at the end of the
hr I've done it - it might all be shit, but at least I've stayed with it, and
it'll likely turn into something good at some point. In contrast, saying that I
desire to tour the world by the time I'm 33 is a spot more hard to
materialize. Ultimately, I cognize that if I maintain writing and touring, I will get
led to greater achievements in my trade as well as a greater fan alkali with
more than touring opportunities.

Norm:

You are a guitarist, song writer, poet, and arranger. Which of the above make you
prefer and why?

Dan:

At this point, I'm a singer-songwriter. It's what I pattern on a day-to-day basis,
and it's how I'm starting to go known.

Norm:

I understand that in Canada there are Music Festival Travel Grants as well as
other traveling grants that help professional Canadian instrumentalists to execute at
festivals outside their state or district of residence.

Apparently, these grants are given to present experience people to new
audiences at an early phase of their calling to a wider public. Rich Person you ever
received this aid and if so, could you state our audience how beneficial
have got they been from the point of position of furthering your career?

Dan:

Yes, I've received some aid from the Canada Council for the Humanistic Discipline and it
have been extremely helpful. I got a tour grant last year, for instance, which
allowed me to tour across the country. Although the tour wasn't as well
organized as I'd hoped for, it did supply me with a new web of people
across the state who have got since go very supportive, including my current
manager, Candace Elder.

Norm:

Do you believe there is some sort of a connexion between music and travel?

Dan:

Absolutely. Traveling, whether physical or emotional, supplies a new
perspective, or a new backdrop, if you will, to your old script. It do your
story look a small more than vibrant, and therefore, worthy of being documented,
which of course, is one of the chief intents of art.

Norm

What is adjacent for Dan Emma Goldman and is there anything you wish to add that we have
not covered?

Dan:

I have got got a tour beginning in August that I trust will convey me from seashore to coast. I'm also working on some new songs and am really excited to enter them in the
new year.

Thanks Dan and good fortune with all of your hereafter endeavors. Thanks Norm

To read more than about Dan or listen to his music bank check out his site at www.dangoldman.ca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home